Islamorada 26th Annual Island Fest
Founders Park, Islamorada
Will be held on April 1-2, 2017
The Islamorada Chamber of Commerce invites you to create a boat and enter...
...a new addition to Florida Keys Island Fest!
NO ENTRY FEE (FREE)
Saturday, April 1, 2017
Load in time is 10am, display judging is 11am, and the actual race will start at 1pm.
Categories include, but are not limited to:
- Lucky Ducky
- Admiral Award
- Yachtiest Award
- Thriftiest Award
- Anchor Award
- Krazy Krewe Award
- Sink and Swim Award
"What Floats Your Boat?" RULES
- Have fun!
- All participants must fill out a registration form and sign a waiver of liability/hold harmless agreement, which will be given to you upon your arrival at the race.
2.1.Each team must have a name and may consist of any number of participants, but one "captain" must be appointed for all communications with the race committee. A "captains" meeting will be held shortly before racing.
- Vessels may be constructed of any materials as long as they were not previously a boat, kayak, paddle board or other similar device intended to transport people or things on the water. No motor of any kind is permitted. Paddles, sails, oars, flippers and other human or natural forces are encouraged. A personal floatation device is required for each crew member participating in a race.
- Vessels must be unloaded onto the beach launching area between 9 and 11 am on race day. No motor vehicles will be permitted off the pavement after 10 am until after 4 pm. Vessels must be displayed where directed by the race committee.
- Vessels and all their parts must be removed from the beach, park and bay bottom by the team. Violators will be reported to the authorities and publicly shunned. Environmentally unsound vessels will be disqualified at the judges' discretion.
- Vessels must be fully rigged and available for judging and public inspection by noon on race day.
- Awards will be made at the discretion of the race committee. Categories include, but are not limited to:
Lucky Ducky Admiral Award, Anchor Award, Yachtiest Award, Krazy Krewe Award, Thriftiest Award, and Sink & Swim Award.
Lucky Ducky Admiral Award will be a perpetual trophy and must be returned for the next year's event. To win the Lucky Ducky Admiral Award, your vessel may have to compete in more than one heat.
- Racing will commence at 1 pm in brackets drawn at random. There will be a beach start, teams must circle a buoy offshore (either way) and the first one back to the beach advances. A loser bracket will occur if time and space allow.
8.1.Classes: If there are sufficient entries, teams will be divided into classes such as "corporate," "youth," "non-profit," or "unlimited."
- No water balloons or other litter may be thrown from vessels.
- Protests may be filed within five minutes after the race by depositing $100 cash with the race committee. The committees decision is final, but may be appealed successively with another $100 cash for each appeal. No money will be returned to participants.
- Awards ceremony will follow shortly after the racing concludes. The ceremony will take place on the "beach stage."
- The rules may be changed at any time in the interest of safety, enjoyment or the race committee's whim to enhance the enjoyment of the event.
- See you next year!